The Avon Walk is this weekend in Charlotte. Dave and I are going to Volunteer for the event. I am excited and ready! Here is the history of my team!
For many years, I had seen advertisements for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. It was something that always caught my eye and would always make me think. I knew in the back of my mind that this was something I might do. In 2006, one of my Sweet Briar friends sent me a fundraising letter for the Avon Walk. It had been years since I had thought about it and decided to look into it further. I was excited to see that it was now in a place near me, Charlotte NC! I immediately told myself I am doing it! I started training and figured this would be something that I would be doing by myself. I had a 5 month old and a 3 year old and still felt that I had to do this. In retrospect, it may not have been the best timing!
In August, before the October walk, I ran into one of my neighbors. She was a fellow Women's college alum and a new breast cancer survivor. I asked Anne if she wanted to walk in the Avon Walk with me and she immediately said yes! I was so excited to have a partner in this and it was even more amazing that she was a survivor. I was honored to be able to do this with her. Anne and I bonded...We trained together, laughed together and cried together. We went to the walk and were truly blown away by the experience. We raised $6,000 and walked away fulfilled. At this time, Anne was a 3 year Breast Cancer survivor walking with me in a 40 mile walk. She was my rock!
After we got home we decided to start a team! Anne and I were able to get 11 team members to join us the next year! We were officially called The PINK PACERS! I loved having a team! We had an amazing time and once again..we were changed! The Pink Pacers were amazing in the fundraising and we reached $34,000! I was in AWE of what we had accomplished! We were 4th place for Charlotte Walkers in fundraising! I was nothing short of proud. This time, Anne was a 4 year Breast Cancer survivor!
In 2008 we are at it again! Half of us are walking and half of us are Crewing! The half of us that are walking have raised almost $27,000. AMAZING! The other half of us are volunteering and manning a Rest Stop. Our theme is the Breast of the 80s and I am ready to go! I am so excited to cheer these men and women on! We are at mile 17 and I know that is a huge rest stop because you start to get tired around that time. I am ready to go! Anne is a FIVE YEAR Breast Cancer survivor!
In 2009, I am in the process of starting another team for the DC walk in May! My goals are set high and I hope that we are as much of a success as we have been in the past! The Pink Pacers Walk ON and I am so honored and proud to be a part of this amazing group. That one decision that I made 3 years ago has changed me. I am finally doing something that is bigger then me and not about me. I am pushing myself to take it one step further then I ever thought I could. I am not done and I will WALK ON....
The Pink Pacers have raised upwards of $67,000 since we started in 2006.
2006
Anne Neeley
Katy Gilliam
2007 Pink Pacers Team
Anne Neeley
Katy Gilliam
Allison Paul
Mary Stillman
Brooke Bowersox
Mary Lloyd Preble
Wendy Woodall
Kathy Del Pizzo
Suzie McGuinn
Mike Stanaway
Pavita Derebail
Gina Wesanko
Karen Kelce
2008 Pink Pacers / Crew
Anne Neeley
Katy Gilliam
Carolyn Back
Rachel Bearman
Christen Borrello
Paul Borrello
Dave Gilliam
Susan Egnoto
Carter Gray
Julie Harris
Leslie Henson
Steve McGuinn
Suzie McGuinn
Carolyn Morris
Mary Loyd Preble
Bryna Rapp
Anne Marie Schneider
Mike Stanaway
Robin Stanaway
Patty Wild
Michelle Young
* Mary Stillman - injured and deferring to the DC walk in 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment